This the fifth episode on how to manage change in your organization. Change is the only thing that never changes. Today, we are talking about managing a desired change.
First, we look at 6 forces that drive change based on Gareth Jones’ book. The forces are: competitive, economic, political, demographic, social, and ethical. I added one force that was not appearing clearly in the list: technological forces.
Second, we explore the symptoms that one can observe at the individual and organizational level when change happens. There are usually called “resistance to change”. Here is the list created by Dr. Victoria Grady in here book The pivot Point:
- Individual Anxiety transforms into a decreased morale at the organization level.
- Individual frustration transforms into a decreased productivity at the organization level.
- Retardation of development (employees growing slowly in their role) transforms into a decrease in motivation at the organization level.
- Individual rejection of the environment transforms into increased conflict at the organization level.
- Individual refusal to participate transforms into increased absenteeism at the organization level.
- Individual withdrawal transforms into increased turnover.
Third, I explained you how you could manage change with an individual approach with a group perspective. The idea is to involve volunteers to brainstorm on the following questions:
- Diagnosis: What is the problem we face? Make an SWOT & PESTEL analysis.
- Determine goal: Knowing where we stand and what our mission is. What goal should we pursue?
- Evaluation of change: Evaluate the changes necessary to achieve this goal. What are the consequences at the organizational, group and individual level?
- Implement the plan: Support individual by providing workshops, coaching, exchange groups and adapt your approach based on employees feedback.
Until next time, observe how you react to change.
Subscribe & Share
Subscribe to the Newsletter to get updates. Give a 5 stars rating to support me and raise the chance that others discover it. Thank you!
Organizational Theory, Design, and Change (7th Edition) by Gareth R. Jones
Victoria Grady – The Pivot Point: Success in Organizational Change – http://pivotpnt.com/book/
SWOT and PESTEL analysis https://acgraber.com/swot-and-pestel-analysis/
Ask me a question
Simply send me an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
My gift to you
Analyze your current business situation with 4 different perspectives. Click on the following link: New Perspectives Canvas